Low-cost, affordable Christian boarding schools. These inexpensive boarding schools are generally subsidized by donations or a foundation.

Home » Low-Cost Therapeutic Boarding School Programs

Low-Cost Therapeutic Boarding School Programs

If you have limited income, we’ve prepared a list of lower cost programs (generally $1,200 or less per month). Please contact these programs directly — we cannot contact them for you or on your behalf. DISCLAIMER: We have no formal affiliation with programs listed below, but we offer them as helpful suggestions for programs offering quality low-cost services. Be sure to check them out carefully:

* BLOUNT YOUTH HOME (Georgia) Blount Youth cHome provides a safe, nurturing, structured environment for youth ages ten to twenty two years old who require inner reconstruction. Tuition is $2400 per month but offers scholarship based on financial need. Address: 582 Mel Blount Rd Vidalia, GA 30474 Phone: (912) 537-7758 (WEB: www.blountyouthhome.com)

* SUNSHINE RESIDENTIAL HOMES (Glendale, Arizona) . Offers services to foster families, adoptive families, and at-risk children in need of residential services. (WEB: sunshineresidentialhomes.com)

* WIL LOU GRAY OPPORTUNITY SCHOOL (West Columbia, SC) Specializes in helping at-risk young people move past the obstacles in their lives to achieve success. WLGOS serves male and female students, age 16-19, who are on a path toward truancy, failing at their current school, dropping out of school and not completing their education, missing a college education or a successful career, living a negative lifestyle, because of poor choices. Tuition is free. Phone: (803) 896-6480 Email: shealyb@wlgos.sc.gov Address: 3300 West Campus Road West Columbia, South Carolina 29170 (WEB: www.willougray.org)

* ONEIDA BAPTIST ACADEMY (Oneida, KY) Oneida Baptist is a Christian boarding and day school for national and international students, Christian or non-Christian, in grades 6-12. Oneida provides a structured living, learning and working environment in which each student is challenged to grow mentally, physically, socially and spiritually in order to acquire an education for time and eternity. Boys or Girls – Grades 6 – 12. Please note that this is not a therapeutic program. (WEB: www.oneidaschool.org) Phone: (606) 847-4111 Address: 11 Mulberry St PO Box 67 Oneida, KY 40972

* HOUSE OF HOPE (Several locations nationally) House of Hope is a national system of non-denominational, non-profit treatment organization with homes dedicated to helping troubled teens between the ages of 13-17. House of Hope provides residential care where teenagers are nourished, protected, healed and reconciled with their families. Their program offers counseling, academic assistance, and prayer. (WEB: www.nationalhouseofhope.org)

* FLYING H YOUTH RANCH (Naches, WA) . Boys age 14-17 years. Tuition based on a sliding scale. (WEB: www.flyingh.org) Phone: 509-658-2990

Takes IEP funding from IL or CA. Qualifies for Adoption Assistance Funding from CA. Works with Medicaid from a few other states, including SD.
TELEPHONE: (800) 726-6755
WEB: ybgr.org

* YOUTH TOWN RTC (Pinson, TN) (works with insurances)
Male or Female with a focus on Dual Diagnosis or Addiction Recovery for age 14-17.
WEB: youthtown.net
TELEPHONE: (731)-988-5251

* YOUTH-REACH (Houston, Texas and Louisiana) Christian youth program includes a 14-month residency, personalized Christian education, counseling, life skills, recreation, music. Boys ages 12-21 are accepted by application and interview. The prospective resident must have a clear desire to change his lifestyle. (WEB: www.youth-reach.org) Phone: 281-459-4555

* HAPPY HILL FARM (Granbury, TX) (WEB: www.happyhillfarm.org) Phone (254) 897-4822

MOUNTAIN STATES CHILDRENS HOME (Longmont, CO) for boys or girls ages 11 – 18, though the program houses mostly teens. Sliding scale tuition based on family income, Christian counseling and academics are part of the program. (WEB: www.msch.org). Phone: 303-776-6841

THE MEL BLOUNT YOUTH HOME (Claysville, PA)  is managed by a team of professional care givers. Each employee is carefully screened and trained to insure that boys are nurtured and educated by skilled people with sound ethical and moral judgment. The result is that the group home exceeds all state and federal regulations governing the appropriate care of youth. The Mel Blount Youth Home of Pennsylvania’s total capacity is (24) twenty four males between the age of 7-17 years of age. Referrals are accepted 24 hours a day for both long-term and short-term placement. The ability to accept referrals depends upon available bed space. (WEB: http://www.mbyh.org) Address: 6 Mel Blount Drive, Claysville, PA 15323 Phone: 724-948-2311 Fax: 724-948-2318

FRENCH CAMP ACADEMY (French Camp, MS) Christian, low cost or scholarship to low-income families able to demonstrate financial need. (WEB: www.frenchcamp.org). Phone: 662-547-6482

TEXAS BOYS RANCH (Lubbock, TX). Program enrolls 24 boys, ages 12-17, counseling, boys attend public schools and there is a sliding scale fee. Phone: 806-747-3187, Web: www.texasboysranch.org

CAL FARLEYS CHILDRENS PROGRAMS (Located in several locations in Texas). Cal Farley continues to provide year-round care for boys and girls on its campus at no cost to their families. They are able to address the needs of some children with behavioral and emotional difficulties. However, they are licensed as a basic care facility and therefore cannot manage the need of children who need intensive therapeutic interventions or around the clock supervision. Call: (800)-657-7124. (WEB: www.calfarleysboysranch.org).

FAITH RANCH (Uvalde, Texas). Boys up to age 16. Residential care is $830+ per month based on financial situation. Phone 210-232-6611.

MERCY MINISTRIES FOR WOMEN (Tennessee) Residential Program for girls under 18 in Tennessee. National programs for girls over 18 available also. (WEB: mercymultiplied.com).

TEXAS BAPTIST CHILDREN’S HOMES (Round Rock, Texas) TBCH is a private, non-profit organization. TBCH operates on a sliding scale fee, which is determined by the family’s ability to contribute toward the child’s care. (WEB: http://www.childrenatheartministries.org) Phone: (512) 255-3682

(WEB: http://www.pdap.com/sahome.htm) Palmer Drug Abuse Program

10223 Boys Ranch Road, San Angelo, Texas 76904 Phone: (325) 949-1936
Toll Free: (800)-756-9827 (WEB: www.wtbr.org) Email: wtbr@wtbr.org

Younger child through adults
Accepts Medicaid from other States – NC, NV, TN, Sd, MT, AR, possibly others in Single Case Agreements
440 S Market Ave, Springfield, MO 65806
TELEPHONE: (877) 783-3693

***Short-Term/Weekend Intervention program*** for out of control youth and their family members. Low Cost, Family Training provided.
WEB: midcoursecorrections.org
TELEPHONE: (810) 227-0243

Very Low-Cost Addiction Treatment/Christian
WEB: uturnforchrist.com

Very Low-Cost Residential Treatment for Adult Male Sexual Addiction
TELEPHONE: (888)-PURELIFE (888-787-3543)

Low Cost or Insurance families – Drug or Alcohol Abuse Treatment for Boys or Girls age 13 -17.
WEB: rightstep.com
TELEPHONE: 844-768-0181

For Men age 18 and above. For those needing support in recovery from drug or alcohol addiction, New Beginnings for Men (only) offers ongoing support through daily Bible Study, employment, and structured living arrangements. Monthly tuition is $250 per client per month. Licensed therapy available for additional cost, on an as needed basis.
TELEPHONE: (417)-234-1647

For adoption and foster care youth. Youth and Adolescent Treatment Centers and In-Home Services for age 8 and up.
WEB: youthvillages.org

(***TriCare and Medicaid accepted***) Specializes in DBT therapy for either boys or girls, age 13 – 17. May be able to write a single-case agreement for Medicaid from your state. Accepts TriCare and Other Insurances.
WEB: midwest-center.com

***Accepts Medicaidfrom TN, VA, NC and WA-DC or Single Case Agreements (varies by State)***.
WEB: villagebh.com

WEB: willlowspringscenter.com
TELEPHONE: (775)-858-3303

Residential Treatment for Youth age 5 and up
WEB: foxruncenter.com

ANCHOR ACADEMY (Van Deuser, MO) anchoracademymo.org

CALVARY CHRISTIAN BOARDING ACADEMY (Eufaula, OK) http://www.calvarybaptistministries.net/

BETHANY’S HOUSE — Christian ministry for pregnant women, age 18 and over providing a free residential program for adoption-minded women.  For more information call 1-800-454-0454 or 209-526-3342. (WEB: www.bethany.org)

Contact Pastor Kelly at 270-276-5152

For Foster Children in Need of a Home or Therapeutic Respite Care, For Boys or Girls of School Age.
WEB: fumch.org
EMAIL: placements@fumch.org
TELEPHONE: (386)-668-4774

YOUTH BUILD USA –In YouthBuild programs, unemployed and under-educated young people ages 16-24 work toward their GED or high school diploma while learning job skills by building affordable housing for homeless and low-income people.  To find a location near you, click here.  For more information, call 617-623-9900.


Online directory to help locate treatment facilities for adolescents and adults.
WEB: findtreatment.samhsa.gov
TELEPHONE: 1-800-622-HELP; 1-877-767-8432 (Spanish); 1-800-487-4889 (TDD).

JOB CORPS (Free – NATIONWIDE) Job Corps is a free education and vocational skills training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job. For eligible youth at least 16 years of age, Job Corps provides the all-around skills needed to succeed in a career and in life. If you are interested in placing your teen in a Job Corp program in your area, call (800) 733-JOBS or (800) 733-5627. An operator will provide you with information about Job Corps, place you in touch with the admissions counselor closest to where you live, and mail you an information packet about the Job Corp program.

For US Military families with Tri-Care Insurance:

NATIONAL GUARD YOUTH CHALLENGE — A preventive youth-at-risk program, targets unemployed drug-free and law-free high-school dropouts, 16 to 18 years of age.  Core components of the program are citizenship, academic excellence (GED/high school diploma attainment), life-coping skills, community service, health and hygiene, skills training, leadership/followership, and physical training. The five-month residential phase is followed by a year-long mentoring relationship with a specially trained member from each youth’s community (Web: http://www.ngyf.org/)

PLEASE NOTE: The National Youth Challenge website (ngycp.org) is currently offline as of Nov. 18, 2017. We suggest that you first try clicking on the link you’re interested in below, and if you cannot access the site, call the phone number next to the website link to inquire.

Alaska Military Youth Academy Challenge Program Anchorage 877-242-5643, Fairbanks 907-374-7960
Arizona Project Challenge – 602-267-2732
Arkansas Youth Challenge – 1-800-814-8453
Grizzly Youth Academy (California)- 1-800-926-0643
Sunburst Youth Academy – 1-877-463-1921
Capital Guardian Challenge Academy – 202-685-8899
Florida Youth Challenge Academy – 904-682-4031
Fort Gordon Youth Challenge Academy (Georgia)- 706-823-8000
Fort Stewart Youth Challenge Academy (Georgia)- 912-876-1721
Hawaii Youth Challenge Academy – Barbers Point (Kalaeloa) 808-685-7139, Kulani (Hilo) 808-933-1922
Idaho Youth Challenge Academy – 208-272-8392
Lincoln’s Challenge (Illinois) – 800-851-2166
Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy – 765-345-1000 or 877-860-0003
Kentucky Bluegrass Challenge Academy – 1-877-599-6884
Appalachian Challenge Academy – 1-877-599-6884
Louisiana Youth Challenge – 1-800-CAMP-KID
Freestate Challenge Academy (Maryland)- 410-436-3255
Michigan Youth Challenge Academy – 1-800-372-0523
Mississippi Youth Challenge – 1-800-507-6253
Montana Youth Challenge Program – 1-877-367-6927 or 1-406-683-7556
Nevada Youth Challenge Program – 775-885-8201
New Jersey Challenge Youth Program – 609-562-0577
New Mexico Youth Challenge Academy – 800-366-9098 or 575-347-7600 or 575-347-7610
Tarheel Challenge Youth Program (North Carolina)- 910-525-5520 or 800-573-9966
Thunderbird Youth Academy (Oklahoma)- 918-824-4850
Oregon Youth Challenge Program – 541-317-9623 x223 or 541-317-9623 x224
Puerto Rico Youth Challenge Program – 787-260-1737
South Carolina Youth Challenge Academy – 803-299-4879 or 1-866-737-7292
Texas Challenge Academy – 877-822-0050 or 432-836-4648 or 432-290-7145
Seaborne Challenge (Texas)- 409-741-7131
Virginia Commonwealth Challenge – 757-491-5932 or 1-800-796-6472
West Virginia Mountaineer Challenge Academy – 1-800-529-7700 or 304-329-2118
Washington Youth Academy – 360-473-2600
Wisconsin Challenge Academy – 877-968-8427
Wyoming Youth Challenge – 307-836-7500 or 307-836-7512 or
844-WYO-WCCA (996-9222)


Look up Residential Treatment Programs for Military Families utilizing Tri-Care Insurance on the web at:

Click on your state, and a list of Tri-Care facilities that service your area will open.


Some Tri-Care programs and other programs on the low-cost list have been known to work with Medicaid in the past, so be sure to ask.

Also – see the following Medicaid Insurance suggestions:

Medicaid recipients may attempt to get a list of programs that will work with their insurance directly from their State’s Medicaid Office:

1. Call Member Services – the number is located on the back of the Medicaid insurance card – ask for their list of preferred providers for Residential Treatment Centers, both in and out of their coverage area. ***The goal is to work with a residential care program directly, instead of being directed through the process by a Medicaid representative***.

2. Do not let Medicaid ask to pre-qualify the student or patient over the phone; just request that they provide you with their list of programs, or website address where providers are listed.

3. Inquire directly. Programs accepting Medicaid can often make sure that the child meets the medical necessity requirements for coverage. Then, the program will begin to act as the family advocate to get funding for the child’s stay.

4. This approach may save you a 4-month wait to be evaluated (or to have to go first to a therapist and then to a psychiatrist in order to move ahead with placement).

Some states post providers who work with Medicaid on a web-page, please search for your state’s Medicaid providers via Internet.

If your child has been hospitalized for crisis stabilization or short term treatment, be sure to ask the hospital for a social worker who can assist you in finding longer term placement using Medicaid services.

FIND A COUNSELOR NEAR YOU (online search tools):

>> Christian Counseling Directory

>> Focus on the Family Counselor Search

>> AACC Counselor Search

>> Trust Based Relational Therapist (TBRI) Database (for adopted children)

REMEMBER: we can still help
you find a fully qualified therapeutic program that is lower in
cost or has a sliding scale and that is
appropriate for your child’s needs.